Breaking news- at least for me and my closet! I just bought a Valentino suit at the Nordstrom Rack originally priced at $4,450 but I paid only... $250!!! I was so excited, it was the only one there and it fit me perfectly! All I have to do is change the buttons. The suit is black tweed, with a knee length skirt, its one of those classic pieces that I can wear forever, hoping I can still fit into it in forever : )
Isn't it the best feeling when you get a deal like that?! Its like a shopping high! After the high wore off though I started to think about the whole situation. Here are the facts, the suit's price was originally $4,450 at the store but then it got marked down to $1000 at the Rack, where it was eventually marked down again, to 75% off, and after all of that Nordstrom and Valentino still managed to make a profit. So imagine how much designer clothing is marked up originally? Is that bad? Which begs other questions; should we never pay full price for clothes again? Should there be restrictions on how much things are marked-up?
After plenty of deep shopping related thought, I've decided that I'm fine with all the mark-ups, companies can charge whatever they want for their garments its their perrogative, just like its ours to decide whether or not to buy retail. If you have the money to buy something totally fabulous at full price go for it! Finding steals like my suit are a chance in a million. However, I personally will think twice before buying retail ever agian.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I remember you telling me about this suit.Cant wait to see it!! That is such a steal, especially for Valentino.
ReplyDeleteI must say that I always think twice about buying something full price and 98% of the time I don't. I know that in a couple of weeks that the garment I truly want will go on sale and if the garment doesn't go on sale then I'll try to find something similar in another store. I have made exceptions, but thats when the garment is so unique I know that its a once in a life time opportunity, just like your suit.
That is an amazing steal!! I hardly ever find good deals on anything. I hate sale shopping because it gets overwhelming. When I was in high school and my parents were still giving me shopping money, I never looked at a price tag. Now, I am a broke college student who can barely afford Target!
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that designers can charge what they want, but within reason. Hopefully I will be made of money one day and can splurge on expensive designer items whenever I please.