Thursday, April 22, 2010

Isabel Toledo is PIM's Designer of the Year!

All of the fashion students at Marymount University are a flutter today in preparation for Isabel and Ruben Toledo's visit! The couple will be guests for our annual student fashion show, Portfolio in Motion. Isabel Toledo is being honored as Marymount's Designer of the Year. I am no exception to the butterflies. I think she is an inspiration to women in the fashion industry by showing that you can be successful in your professional and personal life. Her husband, Ruben Toledo, is her collaborator but his work is not limited to his wife's collections, his work can be seen in many different projects, such as Nordstrom advertisements and even in books. Nina Garcia's Little Black Book of Style was illustrated by Mr. Toledo. He will be giving a talk at Marymount on Friday at noon, which I wish I could go to! Even though I have work, at least everyone else can benefit from his brilliance...

The couple's relationship is so inspiring because, as I said before, we do not see very many relationships like it in the industry. Who says that a woman cannot have it all?! I think it is a shame when women feel like they have to choose between a career and a family, or even marriage. I'm sure it isn't easy working with your spouse, but it is so great that some people, like the Toledo's do!


No comments:

Post a Comment